Ace Football previews the Ligue 1 match between PSG and Lyon, and offers betting tips, odds, line-ups, and team news.
Ligue 1 title hopefuls Lyon face their biggest test of the season so far in a trip to the Parc des Princes for a showdown with reigning champions Paris Saint-Germain.
Just two points separate the teams in the league standings, with PSG sitting top on 28 points from 13 games. Lyon, on the other hand, sit in fourth-place on 26 points from the same number of matches.
The last time these two sides met was in the Coupe de la Ligue final back in July, which the hosts narrowly won 6-5 on penalties after finishing goalless.
But Lyon are flying high in Ligue 1 this season and intent on claiming a first league win in Paris since 2007, meaning PSG will have to be at the top of their game for what might be a thrilling encounter.
PSG Form & Stats
After walking off amid allegations of racism from a match official in Tuesday’s Champions League game against Istanbul Basaksehir, PSG returned the following night to complete a convincing 5-1 victory.
But while Group H may be won and passage into the last-16 secured, the club’s Ligue 1 campaign is far from over.
AS Monaco recently ended their eight-match winning run in a 3-2 thriller at the end of last month. PSG dropped points again at home to Bordeaux before getting back to winning ways at Montpellier last time out. It kept them top of the league standings, albeit with a slender one-point lead.
Thomas Tuchel’s side are normally quick off the mark in games, taking just over 26 minutes on average to score their first goal this season. And with Kylian Mbappe and Neymar in form, goals can be expected against Lyon.
Key Team Stats
- Lost just one of their last 16 home league games (W13 D2).
- Won their last 10 home games against Lyon in all competitions.
- Three or more goals in each of their last four games in all competitions.
- Scored the first goal in 10 of their last 11 games in all competitions.
- One red card has occurred in their last two games against Lyon.
- BTTS in five of their last six games in all competitions.
- Kylian Mbappe has scored nine goals in seven games against Lyon in all competitions.
Lyon Form & Stats
Rudi Garcia’s side head to Paris on a four-match winning run to lift them into the top-four of the Ligue 1 table and two points behind PSG. A famous win in the French capital, therefore, could move them into first.
Winning at the Parc des Princes, however, has eluded Lyon since 2007 and Sunday evening will provide a stern test of their title credentials.
Garcia’s 4-3-3 system appears to have worked wonders recently, with Les Gones unbeaten in their last 10 league games (W6 D4). They’ve also won three of their last four away games, including a 3-1 victory at Metz last time out.
Although Garcia confirmed in his pre-match conference that a late decision will be made on Memphis Depay, who has a muscle problem.
Key Team Stats
- Unbeaten in their last 10 league games (W6 D4).
- Won three of their last four away league games (D1).
- Outscored their opponents in both halves in each of their last two games.
- 8 red cards have occurred in their 13 league games this season, including three in the last two.
- A penalty has been awarded in five of their last 10 games against PSG.
- Conceded in nine of their 13 league games this season.
PSG: Juan Bernat, Julian Draxler, Mauro Icardi, Marquinhos, Pablo Sarabia (out).
Lyon: Rayan Cherki (out); Memphis Depay (doubt).
(Note: The image will change to the official XI once they’re both announced)
Top Goalscorers in Recent Games
Below are some head-to-head stats on each team’s recent form in Ligue 1.