The Reds midfielder has entered the last few months of his contract amid speculation of a summer transfer to Barcelona.
Georginio Wijnaldum insisted he will make an announcement on his future ‘when there is news’, with his main focus currently on helping Liverpool recover from their barren run of form.
The Dutchman’s future has been under widespread speculation since last summer amid reported interest from Barcelona. And with his contract to expire at the end of June, Wijnaldum has not committed to signing an extension at Liverpool so far.
But in light of the club’s sixth successive home defeat on Sunday, a 1-0 loss to Fulham, Wijnaldum has asked for patience as he attempts to help Liverpool out of their current slump.
“If you’re a fan and you support the team – you support the player and what they do with me,” Wijnaldum told beIN Sports as quoted by Goal.
“You want to hear what’s going to happen but on the other side, for me, if there’s nothing to say and no news I cannot say something.
“I hope they can understand that, and I hope they will stay patient until there’s news.
“The most important thing right now is that we fix things in the game as a team and we get results.
“Talking about an individual, in this case about me and my contract situation – because I just said there’s no news, I think we can focus on better things than on my situation.
“When there is news, we will bring it out.”
Wijnaldum, who played 62 minutes in the defeat to Fulham, will return to action on Wednesday for the second leg of Liverpool’s Champions League last-16 tie against RB Leipzig at Anfield.
Jurgen Klopp’s side hold a 2-0 aggregate lead over the German club.