Ace Football previews the LaLiga match between Sevilla and FC Barcelona, and offers betting tips, odds, line-ups, and team news.
The first of two rounds in the space of five days between Sevilla and FC Barcelona takes place on Saturday afternoon at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan Stadium.
A fascinating contest could be on offer, with only two points separating the two sides in the LaLiga table. Barcelona hold the edge in third-place on 50 points from 24 fixtures, although Sevilla do have a game in hand back in fourth.
Considering the last two league encounters between these clubs ended in a draw, another close and intense affair could be on offer in the Andalusian capital. Both Sevilla and Barca will be desperate to land the first blow, with a Copa del Rey semi-final tie awaiting on Wednesday.
Sevilla Form & Stats
After Europa League glory and a fourth-place LaLiga finish last season, Julen Lopetegui continues to impress. The Sevilla manager is on course for consecutive top-four finishes, has reached the Champions League knockout stages, and is on the brink of qualifying for the Copa del Rey final.
Diego Carlos and Luuk de Jong, meanwhile, were on target on Monday to seal a 2-0 win at Osasuna. It extended the club’s winning run in the league to six successive matches, moving them to within seven points off leaders Atletico Madrid. The result was a welcome boost after a disappointing 3-2 Champions League home defeat to Borussia Dortmund.
The Nervionenses have been consistently strong everywhere this term, with the league’s third-best home and away records. It sets them up well ahead of some season-defining fixtures; starting with back-to-back meetings with Barcelona. Having beaten the Catalan club 2-0 in the first leg of their Copa del Rey semi-final tie on February 10, Sevilla look in good shape.
Key Team Stats
- On a six-match winning run in the league.
- Won 4 of their last 5 home league games to nil.
- Only won 1 of their last 13 home league games against Barcelona (D5 L7).
- Scored the first goal in each of their last 11 games in all competitions.
- Scored a second-half goal in each of their last 7 games in all competitions.
- After drawing 1-1 in the reserve fixture, Sevilla hope to avoid losing to Barcelona in LaLiga for the first time since 2002/03.
- 10 of Youssef En-Nesyri’s 13 league goals have come at home.
FC Barcelona Form & Stats
Lionel Messi’s brace and a goal from Jordi Alba sealed a 3-0 victory over Elche on Wednesday, and a return to winning ways. Barcelona must now continue this form ahead of a run of games that could not only define the campaign, but the club’s future as well.
Ronald Koeman needs results sooner rather than later. If the Dutchman is to continue as manager next season under a new president, he cannot go empty-handed. Barcelona, though, have their work cut out to overcome a 4-1 aggregate deficit to Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League last-16; while also recovering from a 2-0 first-leg defeat to Sevilla in the Copa del Rey semi-final. It makes Sunday’s showdown in the league a crucial moment.
But while results in other competitions haven’t always gone their way, Barcelona are on a 14-match unbeaten run in LaLiga (W11 D3). The Blaugrana have recovered ground in the title race, with a five-point to leaders Atletico, and have the league’s fourth-best away record. In fact, they’ve won each of their last six league games on the road.
Key Team Stats
- Won 2 of their last 5 games in all competitions (D1 L2).
- On a six-match winning away from home in the league.
- Scored at least 2 goals in 7 of their last 8 league games.
- Ronald Koeman is winless in his 3 games against Sevilla (D1 L2).
- Lionel Messi has recorded 37 goals and 18 assists in 39 games against Sevilla in all competitions.
- Lionel Messi has scored the first goal in 3 of the last 5 league games.
Out: Marcos Acuña, Lucas Ocampos.
Out: Ansu Fati, Philippe Coutinho, Sergi Roberto, Miralem Pjanic.
(Note: The image will change to the official XI once they’re both announced)
Top Goalscorers in LaLiga
Below are some head-to-head stats on each team’s recent form in LaLiga.
* DC:12 – Double Chance on Home Team (Sevilla)