Advertisement
  • News

Salah responds to interest from Barcelona

Mohamed Salah, FC Barcelona
Getty Images

Reports emerged last month that the Egypt international was a top target for FC Barcelona and their new manager.

Advertisement

Mohamed Salah is flattered by Barcelona’s interest in him, but insists his priority is to continue in the Premier League.

Much has been said of Salah’s future recently. The Liverpool star is out of contract on June 2023 and is yet to commit to fresh terms. It’s led to widespread reports of interest away from England, namely in the Spanish La Liga.

Catalan outlet El Nacional claimed last month that new Barcelona manager, Xavi Hernandez, told the club to sign Salah ‘at all costs’.

Advertisement

What did Salah have to say?

However, in an interview with MBC Masr TV, the Egypt international set the record straight.

“I read what was said about Xavi’s interest to sign me,” he told the Egyptian TV network.

“This is something that makes me happy that a team like Barcelona is interested in me, but I’m happy in Liverpool and we will see what happens in the future.”

Advertisement

Salah added: “At the moment, I prefer to stay in the English Premier League, as it’s the strongest league in the world.”

The 29-year-old continued his impressive start to the season on Saturday by assisting Divock Origi’s goal in Liverpool’s 1-0 win at Wolves.

The Reds return to action on Tuesday away to AC Milan in the Champions League. They then welcome Aston Villa to Anfield next Saturday.

Advertisement