Ace Football previews the Premier League match between Manchester City and Chelsea and offers betting tips, odds, line-ups, and team news.
Manchester City and Chelsea square off for the first time this month on Saturday evening in what is now billed as a curtain-raiser for the upcoming Champions League final on May 29.
A victory would not only hand City the momentum ahead of the trip to Istanbul, but it would also seal a third Premier League title in four seasons. Chelsea, however, won’t make it easy. The visitors hold the final top-four spot and know defeat at the Etihad could prove harmful.
Chelsea deservedly won 1-0 last month on neutral ground at Wembley in the FA Cup, but City should have a stronger line-up and can count on home advantage as the Premier League’s two best defensive sides lock horns in Manchester.
Manchester City Form & Stats
Successive 2-0 wins over Crystal Palace in the Premier League and Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League have left Manchester City in a good place as they bid for a fifth league title in 10 seasons.
Pep Guardiola’s have won each of their last five games since losing to Chelsea in the FA Cup. The quadruple dream may long be over now, but hopes of a treble are still very much alive. They’ve already won the EFL Cup, reached the Champions League for the first time, and hold a 13-point lead in the Premier League.
The only real setback is the suspension of John Stones, with Aymeric Laporte set to partner Ruben Dias in central defense instead.
Kevin De Bruyne, meanwhile, could be key for this clash. The Belgian is more of an assist king than a goalscorer, but he has scored in each of his last three Premier League matches against former club Chelsea.
Key Team Stats
- Won their last 5 games in all competitions.
- Kept 18 clean sheets in 34 Premier League games this season.
- Lost only 1 of their last 24 home Premier League games against London clubs (W20 D3).
- Lost 2 of their last 3 Premier League home games (W1).
- Pep Guardiola has never lost back-to-back home league games in his managerial career.
- Kevin De Bruyne has scored in each of his last 3 Premier League games against Chelsea.
- Sergio Aguero has managed 15 goals and 3 assists in 21 games against Chelsea in all competitions.
Chelsea Form & Stats
While Manchester City dominate this season, Chelsea could very well spoil the party for next term. The Blues have been outstanding since Thomas Tuchel replaced Frank Lampard in the dugout and could end 2020/21 with FA Cup and Champions League titles.
For now, though, the priority lies in a top-four finish. Beating City would help Chelsea leapfrog third-placed Leicester City in the standings, strengthening their claim for Champions League qualification.
Tuchel has already proved he can out-think Guardiola and is unbeaten in his 11 away games in charge of Chelsea (W8 D3), with only four goals conceded so far. He’s made the team incredibly tough to break down, but can he spoil the party at the Etihad?
Key Team Stats
- Unbeaten in 11 away games in all competitions under Thomas Tuchel (W8 D3) and conceded just 4 goals.
- Kept 11 clean sheets in 15 Premier League games under Thomas Tuchel.
- Hope to win 3 Premier League games in a row to nil for the first time since November 2017.
- Lost their last 3 away Premier League games against Manchester City by an aggregate score of 9-1.
- Thomas Tuchel has lost 4 of his 6 encounters against Pep Guardiola (W1 D1).
- Winless in each of their 4 Premier League games against the three clubs above them in the standings.
- Under 2.5 goals in 18 of their last 20 games in all competitions.
Out: John Stones.
Out: Mateo Kovacic.
Doubts: Cesar Azpilicueta.
(Note: The image will change to the official XI once they’re both announced)
Top Scorers in Premier League
Below are some head-to-head stats on each team’s recent form in the Premier League.