Ace Football previews the Premier League match between Chelsea and Newcastle United, and offers betting tips, odds, line-ups, and team news.
A top-four spot is the prize up for grabs for Chelsea on Monday night in a Premier League encounter with Newcastle United at Stamford Bridge.
Liverpool’s 3-1 defeat to Leicester City on Saturday has opened a window of opportunity. The hosts are a point behind the fourth-placed side and need only a draw to move back into a Champions League spot. Although Newcastle, who sit 14 points adrift in a lowly 17th-place, have other ideas.
But given Chelsea’s home record and solid form under Thomas Tuchel, along with Newcastle losing their top-scorer Callum Wilson to injury, a routine Blues victory is the expected outcome.
Chelsea Form & Stats
Blues manager Thomas Tuchel is unbeaten in his first six games in charge. The German has overseen five consecutive wins in all competitions since a goalless stalemate against Wolves on his debut. This form has lifted the club up to five places into fifth in the Premier League table and sealed an FA Cup quarter-final spot.
Tuchel has mostly adopted a 3-4-3 system and brought back some fringe players into the fold. Similar to Antonio Conte, he has put a greater emphasis on defense with only one goal conceded in his six games. His tactics have led to a few questionable player decisions to some extent, but the results back him up.
The Blues’ campaign is now back on track, and a win over Newcastle would set them up nicely for trips to Southampton in the Premier League on Saturday and to Spain three days later for the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie with Atletico Madrid.
Key Team Stats
- Won their last 5 games in all competitions.
- Last claimed 4 league wins in a row between September and November 2019.
- Conceded only 1 goal in their last 6 games in all competitions.
- Won 18 of their last 25 home league games against Newcastle (D6 L1).
- Olivier Giroud has scored 8 goals (all for Arsenal) in 6 league games against Newcastle.
- Timo Werner has failed to score in his last 14 league games.
Newcastle United Form & Stats
After an 11-match winless run between December and January, Newcastle have won two of their last three games (L1). Not even being reduced to nine-men last time out could deny them a 3-2 victory against Southampton. Progress has been made recently, but will it be enough to stop Chelsea?
The Magpies have lost in each of their last seven visits to Stamford Bridge, scoring three goals and conceding 18. They also got the Premier League’s third-worst record on the road this season, with six defeats in 11 games (W3 D2).
Steve Bruce’s side are the clear underdogs for Monday’s match. That said, Chelsea’s underwhelming FA Cup win over Barnsley, along with the fact Newcastle are under less pressure, could spark a little hope for the visitors.
Key Team Stats
- Won 2 of their last 3 league games (L1).
- Lost 6 of their 11 away league games (W3 D2).
- 2 of their away league wins have come in London against West Ham and Crystal Palace.
- Lost in each of their last seven visits to Chelsea.
- Miguel Almiron is the only available player to have scored more than 1 league goal.
Out: Thiago Silva, Kai Havertz.
Doubts: Timo Werner.
Out: Callum Wilson, Jamaal Lascelles, Fabian Schar, Javier Manquillo, Federico Fernandez, Jeff Hendrick.
(Note: The image will change to the official XI once they’re both announced)
Top Goalscorers in the Premier League
Below are some head-to-head stats on each team’s recent form in the Premier League.