Ace Football previews the Bundesliga match between Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund, and offers betting tips, odds, line-ups, and team news.
Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund meet on Saturday evening for the 129th Der Klassiker, the biggest fixture in German football.
A 13-point gap lies between the two sides in the Bundesliga standings ahead of their latest showdown. Bayern are ahead in first-place, having collected 52 points from their 23 games this season. Dortmund, on the other hand, sit down in fifth and need a strong result to aid their bid to return to the top-four, and seal Champions League qualification for next season.
It should be another exciting and intense affair, with both clubs boasting several exciting players in their ranks. Goals can also be expected – as they pretty much have been in all of Bayern’s games this season.
Bayern Munich Form & Stats
The Bavarians have overcome their post-World Cup hangover, having sealed convincing victories over Lazio and Koln. Last weekend’s 5-1 win over the latter was especially satisfying. Not only did it maintain the club’s lead at the top of the league table, but also saw Thomas Muller and Serge Gnabry make impressive returns from illness and injury respectively.
The pressure is on, though, to win on Saturday. Bayern cannot afford to drop points against Dortmund, with only a two-point lead over second-placed RB Leipzig. The in-form Red Bulls are breathing down their necks and can capitalize on any potential changes.
But Hansi Flick’s men have won each of their last four meetings with Dortmund. Home advantage could be another key factor, having not suffered a defeat at the Allianz Arena since November 2019, and the goals are never far away. In fact, Bayern have scored in each of their last 54 games in all competitions, with the prolific Robert Lewandowski being at the center of it.
Key Team Stats
- Won 9 of their last 11 games in all competitions (D1 L1).
- Scored at least 4 goals in each of their last 5 home league games against Borussia Dortmund.
- Unbeaten in their last 21 home league games (W17 D4).
- Scored a league-best 67 goals this season.
- BTTS in their last 4 games in all competitions.
- Robert Lewandowski has scored 19 goals in his last 17 games in all competitions.
- Robert Lewandowski has scored 13 goals in his last 8 league games against Borussia Dortmund.
Borussia Dortmund Form & Stats
The Black and Yellows appear to have found some consistency recently, having embarked on a five-match unbeaten run. They’ve also won each of their previous four games, winning the last three to nil, and have scored in 31 consecutive games across all competitions.
Interim manager Edin Terzic now faces his biggest challenge in defying Bayern over in Munich. The German has already pulled off impressive away wins, including a 3-2 Champions league triumph over Sevilla and beating Leipzig 3-1 in the league. It should be interesting, therefore, to see what he has up his sleeve for this one.
A 1-0 win at Borussia Monchengladbach in the DFB-Pokal was a perfect warm-up. Dortmund had to work hard for the victory, with an in-form Jadon Sancho scoring the only goal of the game six minutes past the hour-mark. Although the English winger, along with full-back Raphael Guerreiro, is a big doubt for the Bayern match due to injury.
Key Team Stats
- Won their last 4 games in all competitions.
- Scored in each of their last 31 games in all competitions.
- Lost each of their last 4 league games to Bayern Munich.
- Over 3.5 goals in 6 of their last 9 games in all competitions.
- BTTS in 10 of their last 13 away games in all competitions.
- Erling Haaland has managed 6 goals and 3 assists in his last 7 games in all competitions.
Out: Douglas Costa, Tanguy Nianzou, Corentin Tolisso, Benjamin Pavard.
Doubts: Alexander Nubel.
Out: Axel Witsel, Marcel Schmelzer, Manuel Akanji, Giovanni Reyna.
Doubts: Jadon Sancho, Raphael Guerreiro, Lukasz Piszczek, Roman Burki.
(Note: The image will change to the official XI once they’re both announced)
Top Goalscorers in Bundesliga
Below are some head-to-head stats on each team’s recent form in Bundesliga.