The Blaugrana icon is out of contract at Paris Saint-Germain at the end of the season.
Barcelona manager Xavi Hernandez has asked for Lionel Messi to be left in peace amid rumors linking the player with a return to Camp Nou.
Barca vice president Eduard Romeu got the ball rolling last week when he said it would be possible for the club to re-sign Messi on a financial level.
Messi, who left Barcelona for a free transfer to PSG last year, is out of contract next summer. PSG intend to discuss a new deal with him in January. For now, though, the 35-year-old is focused on the 2022/23 campaign and this winter’s World Cup in Qatar, which starts in November.
“With Leo, let’s see, but it’s not the moment to talk about it right now,” Xavi said in a press conference on Monday in Milan.
“You know the love I have for him. He is a friend and I will always wish him the best. Barca is his home, but we’re not doing him any favors speaking about [his future], either.
“Let’s leave him in peace to enjoy his time in Paris and wish him all the best.”
Barcelona take on Inter Milan in the first game of their Champions League double-header on Tuesday at San Siro. The two clubs share three points each in second place in Group C. With Bayern Munich a further three points ahead, whoever comes out on here will be in the hot seat for the group’s second and final knockout spot.