Ace Football previews the La Liga match between Sevilla and Atletico Madrid, and offers the latest stats, tips, and team news.
Atletico Madrid take the daunting trip to Sevilla on Sunday night in need of victory as the pressure from below grows in the La Liga title battle.
A dip in form in recent weeks from the Spanish league leaders has left them within Real Madrid and Barcelona’s reach. They head to Sevilla, who lie 11 points behind in fourth-place, needing a response. The pressure is definitely on over in Andalusia.
It could be another close and low-scoring affair between the top two defensive teams in Spain. Sevilla are no pushovers at home and can be difficult to break, while Atletico have the quality to bag a win even without some key men.
Sevilla Form & Stats
Goalkeeper Yassine Bounou’s last-gasp equalizer salvaged a 1-1 draw at Real Valladolid last time out. It extended Sevilla’s unbeaten run to four matches in all competitions and leaves the club with a nine-point advantage over fifth-placed Villarreal in the top-four battle.
The Nervionenses have now collected 55 points from 28 league games (W17 D4 L7), which is their joint-second best tally at this stage. They last achieved this in 2014/15 and even scored 57 points in the 2016/17 campaign.
Julen Lopetegui’s men also boast the second-best defensive record in La Liga on 21 conceded goals. Only nine goals have been conceded at home, which is a joint-league best alongside Atletico and Real Madrid. They’ve also scored 22 of their 39 goals at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan and won 10 of their 14 matches (D1 L3).
Key Team Stats
- Won 7 of their last 8 home league games (L1) and kept 6 clean sheets.
- Under 2.5 goals in their last 4 home league games.
- Winless in their last 8 league games against Atletico Madrid (D4 L4).
- 4 of their last 8 league goals were headers from Munir El-Haddadi, Diego Carlos, Luuk de Jong, and Youssef En-Nesyri.
- Averaged 4.2 corner-kicks and 4 shots on target in their last 5 league games.
- Youssef En-Nesyri has scored in 2 of his last 3 league games.
Atletico Madrid Form & Stats
Luis Suarez scored his 19th goal of the season to seal a crucial 1-0 win over Deportivo Alaves last time out. Atletico Madrid now have 66 points from 28 games at the top of La Liga. In fact, clubs that won as many points at this stage across the last five campaigns went on to win the Spanish league title.
Diego Simeone’s men now head to Sevilla for one of their toughest tests left in the season. It could be a tight affair, although recent history is on their side. Not only have Atletico won in each of their last three visits to Andalusia, they’re on an eight-match unbeaten run against the record six-time Europa League winners (D4 L4).
Koke, meanwhile, often performs well in this fixture, having supplied seven goals and four assists in 19 league games. While Suarez has scored in three of his last four visits to Sevilla, albeit as a Barcelona player, and Atletico have a league-best 15.7% shot conversion rate.
Key Team Stats
- Unbeaten in 12 of their 13 away league games (W9 D3).
- Under 2.5 goals in 6 of their last 7 league games.
- Drawn 4 of their last 5 league games against Sevilla (W1), with 3 of the stalemates ending 1-1.
- Diego Simeone has only lost 3 times in 22 games against Sevilla in all competitions (W10 D9).
- Best defensive record in La Liga on 18 conceded goals.
- Koke has managed 7 goals and 4 assists in 19 league games against Sevilla.
- Averaged 10.2 shots, 5.2 shots on target, and 3.6 yellow cards in their last 5 league games.
Doubts: Aleix Vidal.
Out: Yannick Carrasco.
Doubts: Joao Felix.
(Note: The image will change to the official XI once they’re both announced)
Top Scorers in La Liga
Below are some head-to-head stats on each team’s recent form in La Liga.