The defender scored on his first game back from injury in a seven-goal Copa del Rey thriller between Intercity and Barcelona.
Barcelona defender Ronald Araujo has thanked everyone for their support during his three-month injury spell.
The 23-year-old Uruguay international had been sidelined since the end of September, following surgery on a thigh problem, until Wednesday night’s triumphant return to the pitch.
Araujo took just four minutes to score and cleared a certain goal for Aaron Pinan off the line. His efforts helped Barcelona defeat Intercity 4-3 in a round of 32 Copa del Rey tie.
“Thank God, thank you my family and everyone that helped me during the past months,” he later tweeted on Thursday.
“Victory in #CopaDelRey… and on to the next round! Happy to be back on the pitch. Let’s go.”
Gracias mi Dios, gracias a mi familia y a todos los que me ayudaron en este tiempo.
— Ronald Araujo (@RonaldAraujo_4) January 5, 2023
Araujo’s substitution was planned
Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Araujo revealed he and Barca manager Xavi Hernandez planned his second-half substitution to avoid an injury relapse.
“Yes, we had talked about 45 or 60 minutes depending on how I felt,” said Araujo, who missed the World Cup because of his injury.
“At half-time, I told him [Xavi] that I could play a little more. The most important thing is that I felt very comfortable.”
Araujo added: “I’m happy to be back after a lot of hard work and suffering. I haven’t played for a long time and I wanted to get back as soon as possible. It’s a shame that I couldn’t play at the World Cup, which was what I wanted the most, but now we have to think about Sunday and another final [against Atletico Madrid].”