Ace Football previews the Champions League match between PSG and Bayern Munich, and offers the latest stats, tips, and team news.
Last season’s Champions League finalists Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich do battle in the French capital on Tuesday for a second-leg quarter-final tie.
A five-goal thriller in Germany last week ended in a 3-2 first-leg win for PSG. Aside from holding a one-goal aggregate lead, the Parisians have three away goals and home advantage in their favor. It leaves Bayern with an almighty task to avoid being dethroned.
But the injury-hit visitors have nothing to lose anymore as they stare down the barrel of elimination. Losing key men, however, could prove decisive in what is a win-or-bust match for the titleholders.
PSG Form & Stats
Despite 31 attempts on goal against them, PSG held on to inflict a first defeat for Hansi Flick’s Bayern Munich in Europe. The 3-2 first-leg triumph in Germany came less than a month after beating Barcelona 4-1 at Camp Nou.
A 4-1 win over Strasbourg over the weekend, meanwhile, was a perfect warm-up. Kylian Mbappe, Pablo Sarabia, Moise Kean, and Leonardo Paredes were all on target to make it back-to-back wins ahead of arguably the club’s most important match of the season.
All eyes will be on Kylian Mbappe. The striker has scored eight goals in his last four Champions League games alone. One more strike on Tuesday would see him surpass David Trezeguet and Wissam Ben Yedder as the highest-scoring French player in a single campaign in the competition. He can also become the first PSG player to score in four successive knockout games.
Key Team Stats
- Won 5 of their last 6 Champions League games (D1).
- Won all 4 of their previous home games against Bayern Munich in Europe between 1994 and 2017.
- Over 3.5 goals in 4 of their last 5 Champions League games.
- BTTS in 5 of their last 6 Champions League games.
- Kylian Mbappe has scored 8 goals in his last 4 Champions League games.
- Mauricio Pochettino has won each of his last four Champions League two-legged knockout ties.
Bayern Munich Form & Stats
Injuries have taken a toll on Bayern Munich recently. Without the likes of Robert Lewandowski and Serge Gnabry, the Bavarians have suffered a decline in form. In fact, they’ve won just once since the international break ended (D1 L1).
History doesn’t reflect well on them either. Bayern have been eliminated in each of the last four times they lost the first leg of a knockout tie, with all of those defeats coming between 2014 and 2018.
That said, Flick’s men still have the experience and quality to pull off a comeback. The win-or-bust nature of this tie, along with the fact they have nothing left to lose, suggests it could be an open affair. Bayern can test PSG’s mettle and have an excellent away record in the Champions League.
Key Team Stats
- Unbeaten in their last 17 away Champions League games (W13 D4).
- BTTS in each of their last 4 away Champions League games.
- Scored at least 2 goals in 18 of their last 20 Champions League games.
- Over 2.5 goals in 13 if their last 16 Champions League games.
- Had 31 shots to PSG’s 6 in the first leg with 12 of them on target.
- Joshua Kimmich has supplied 8 assists in his last 9 Champions League games, created 10 chances in the first-leg, and set-up Thomas Muller for a goal.
- Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting has scored 3 goals in his last 4 Champions League games.
Out: Juan Bernat, Mauro Icardi.
Doubts: Marquinhos, Keylor Navas, Layvin Kurzawa.
Out: Robert Lewandowski, Serge Gnabry, Douglas Costa, Corentin Tolisso, Niklas Sule.
(Note: The image will change to the official XI once they’re both announced)
Top Scorers in Champions League
Below are some head-to-head stats on each team’s recent form in Champions League.