Sports Innovation previews the Premier League match between Manchester City and Chelsea and offers team stats, betting tips and the latest odds.
A top-of-the-table clash awaits at the Etihad Stadium as Manchester City and Chelsea lock horns on Saturday afternoon.
It’s a win-or-bust tie for Chelsea. The second-placed Blues are already trailing Man City by 10 points in the Premier League table, meaning a draw would not be enough to help their title chances. Claiming three points at the Etihad, though, will prove a tough ask.
Pep Guardiola’s side continue to grind out results wherever they go and head into Saturday’s match chasing a 12th successive league win.
Facts and figures for Man City vs Chelsea in Premier League.
- Manchester City have won 14 of the last 15 matches
- Manchester City have scored in the last 15 matches in a row
- Manchester City have not lost 14 of the last 15 matches
- In 3 of the last 4 matches Manchester City played, both teams scored
- Chelsea have not lost 23 of the last 24 matches
- Chelsea have scored in 23 of the last 24 matches
- Chelsea have won the last 3 matches in a row
- Manchester City have scored in 16 of the last 18 matches versus Chelsea
- In 10 of the last 12 Manchester City home matches versus Chelsea the sum of goals was under 3.5
- In 5 of the last 6 Manchester City home matches versus Chelsea the sum of goals was over 2.5
- In 4 of the last 5 matches Manchester City versus Chelsea played, both teams scored
- Manchester City have won 3 of the last 4 home matches versus Chelsea
Current form — Man City vs Chelsea
The Citizens to continue fine goalscoring form
Manchester City have really been enjoying their football in their previous 3 matches, which started off with a 0-1 win against Brentford. They went on to beat Arsenal by 1-2, before also getting the better of Swindon in a 1-4 victory.
The Blues continue to rank in the results
Chelsea enter the contest on a fine run of form at the moment. In their last 3 matches across all competitions, they defeated Tottenham twice 2-0 and 1-0 in the EFL Cup while also thrashing Chesterfield 5-1 in between.
How do the bookies view it?
Given their stunning form and home advantage, Man City are the favorites to win this match. The Premier League leaders are priced at 1.73 with Betfair to claim all 3 points. A draw pays out at 4.10 with Unibet, which has also priced a Chelsea win at 5.10.
Man City vs Chelsea — fixture history
The latest match between these teams was a tight encounter that saw Manchester City run away with a small 1-0 victory.
Man City enter the match against Chelsea with a 6-0-4 record in their previous 10 encounters in the Premier League. This amounts to a 60% winning ratio for the Citizens, with the away side victorious in 40% of the last 10 encounters. In the last 10 meetings of these teams, they played on an equal footing.
Current table in the Premier League
As the current Premier League standings show us, the difference between the two teams is 10 points. Even though Chelsea cannot overtake Manchester City in the league standings right away, they will surely look to reduce or at least maintain the current gap. Man City, who are 1st with 53 points, will do their part to widen the distance to their upcoming opponents on Saturday.
It is difficult to look past Jorginho, when searching for a goalscorer. He seems in wonderful shape and hit the target 4 times in recent matches for Chelsea. Romelu Lukaku isn’t looking bad either, having started each of the club’s last three games.
As for Manchester City, Riyad Mahrez is off representing Algeria at the Africa Cup of Nations. This means Raheem Sterling could be the Citizens’ next best threat, along with Kevin De Bruyne and the ever-impressive Phil Foden.