Sports Innovation previews the Premier League match between Aston Villa and Manchester United and offers team stats and betting tips with the latest odds.
Manchester United hope to get their top-four challenge back on track during Saturday’s visit to Aston Villa in the Premier League.
A tricky game awaits at Villa Park for Ralf Rangnick’s side, considering how they played on Monday. They may have beaten Aston Villa 1-0 in the FA Cup, but their performance was far from convincing. With no home advantage this time, a repeat of that display could spell trouble.
If so, Man United will be hard pushed to close that six-point gap to the top four. They currently lie in seventh place in the Premier League table, with Aston Villa nine points behind in 14th.
Facts and figures for Aston Villa vs Manchester United in Premier League.
- Aston Villa have conceded in 12 of the last 14 matches
- In 5 of the last 6 home matches Aston Villa played, both teams scored
- Aston Villa have lost the last 3 matches in a row
- Aston Villa have not won the last 3 matches in a row
- Manchester United have scored in the last 18 away matches in a row
- Manchester United have not lost 9 of the last 10 matches
- Aston Villa have not won 36 of the last 38 matches versus Manchester United
- Aston Villa have conceded in 18 of the last 19 home matches versus Manchester United
- Aston Villa have lost 6 of the last 7 home matches versus Manchester United
- In 4 of the last 5 Aston Villa matches versus Manchester United the sum of goals was over 2.5
- In 4 of the last 5 Aston Villa home matches versus Manchester United the sum of goals was under 3.5
Current form — Aston Villa vs Manchester United
The Villians hoping for fresh start
Aston Villa have had to endure a tough spell in their last 3 matches, from which they have nothing to show. They were beaten 3-1 by Chelsea, before Brentford ran out 2-1 winners. A third defeat on the trot followed against Manchester United, who came out 1-0 winners.
The Red Devils hope to boost points tally
Manchester United are a bit back and forth at the moment, but at least mostly forth, as they beat Burnley by 3-1. Following that up proved too difficult as they lost 0-1 against Wolves, before claiming 3 points in a 1-0 win against Aston Villa.
How do the bookies view it?
It’s a close call here, but the bookies are still leaning towards Manchester United. The Red Devils are priced at 2.50 with Betfair to claim all 3 points. A draw pays out at 3.70 with Mr. Green, which has also priced an Aston Villa win at 3.50.
Aston Villa vs Manchester United — fixture history
The latest match between these teams was a tight encounter that saw Manchester United win 1-0 in the FA Cup last Monday.
Aston Villa enter the match against Ralf Rangnick’s side with a 2-1-7 record in their previous 10 encounters in all competitions. This amounts to a 20% winning ratio for the hosts, with the away side victorious in 70% of the last 10 encounters.
Current table in the Premier League
Looking at the Premier League standings right now, the difference between these opponents is 9 points. Aston Villa cannot squeeze past Manchester United in the standings anytime soon, but will be eager to reduce or at least maintain the current gap. The Red Devils, ranked 7th on 31 points, will do their part to widen the distance to their upcoming opponents on Saturday.
Ollie Watkins has been hitting the target on a regular basis in recent matches. Aston Villa will no doubt look to him for more goals in their next match against Manchester United. The visitors are surely hoping Cristiano Ronaldo adds another to his current total. With 4 goals in recent matches, the Portuguese maestro boasts a decent goal ratio right now.