Ace Football previews the Champions League match between Manchester City and Borussia Dortmund and offers the latest stats, tips, and team news.
The first leg of the Champions League quarter-finals begins on Tuesday as Manchester City and Borussia Dortmund lock horns at the Etihad Stadium.
Pep Guardiola’s side dismissed Borussia Monchengladbach with minimum fuss in the previous round to reach the last eight, while Dortmund proved their might by overcoming Europa League title holders Sevilla.
Despite the underdog tag, a Haaland-inspired Dortmund can give City a run for their money. But as the hosts have no injury concerns and are in fine form, a home victory is the expected outcome for this first leg tie.
Manchester City Form & Stats
The Citizens have suffered quarter-final exits in the last three Champions League campaigns in a row. Liverpool, Tottenham, and Lyon did the honors of knocking them. The last one especially left Guardiola in the firing line. The Catalan coach was signed to end the club’s long wait for European glory and is probably under more pressure than anybody else for his 60th knockout match as a manager.
Yet Manchester City’s form this season should be some comfort at least. The hosts have won 26 of their last 27 games in all competitions (L1), leaving them with a chance of claiming an unprecedented quadruple. They’ve also been effective in denying decent opportunities for their opponents, which will be key against Erling Haaland.
Ilkay Gundogan, meanwhile, has been one of the Premier League’s best players this season. The former Dortmund star has stepped up his game and has scored in five of his last six games for club and country. He, along with the ever-impressive Kevin De Bruyne, could be key in the City attack.
Key Team Stats
- Won 26 of their last 27 games in all competitions (L1).
- 2-0 victories in their last 3 games in all competitions.
- Claimed 10 wins in their last 11 Champions League games against German clubs (D1).
- Won to nil in 6 of their last 7 Champions League games.
- Kept clean sheets in each of their last 7 Champions League games. Only Arsenal have done better with 10 consecutive clean sheets in 2005/06.
- Kevin De Bruyne has had 12 goal involvements in his last 11 Champions League games (3 goals, 9 assists).
- Kevin De Bruyne has managed 3 goals and 3 assists in 6 starts in the Champions League quarter-finals.
Borussia Dortmund Form & Stats
A 2-1 defeat to Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday has cost Borussia Dortmund big in the top-four battle. The Black and Yellows now sit seven points behind fourth-placed Eintracht in the Bundesliga in fifth, with only seven games left.
Winning the Champions League for the first time in 24 years, therefore, may represent their best chance of qualifying for Europe’s top-tier club competition for next season. No pressure, right?
Although things have been better in Europe than at home. Despite losing their group-stage opener, Dortmund are unbeaten in their last seven Champions League games (W5 D2). It’s their best run in the competition since going 11 games without defeat between 2012 and 2013 under Jurgen Klopp.
A key factor behind this run is Erling Haaland. The Norwegian, who scored four of Dortmund’s five goals in the 5-4 aggregate win over Sevilla in the last-16, is the Champions League’s highest scorer on 10 goals. If Haaland scores on Tuesday, he’ll become the fifth player to score in seven successive games after Robert Lewandowski, Cristiano Ronaldo, Edinson Cavani, and Ruud van Nistelrooy.
Key Team Stats
- On a seven-match unbeaten in the Champions League (W5 D2).
- Conceded 2 or more goals in 4 of their last 5 games in all competitions.
- BTTS in each of their last 4 Champions League games.
- Averaging 5.6 shots on target, 0.75 yellow cards, and 4.9 corner-kicks per match in the Champions League.
- Erling Haaland has scored in each of his last 6 Champions League games.
- Erling Haaland has scored 6 goals in 4 Champions League knockout stage matches.
Out: Jadon Sancho, Axel Witsel, Dan-Axel Zagadou, Marcel Schmelzer, Youssoufa Moukoko.
(Note: The image will change to the official XI once they’re both announced)
Top Scorers in Champions League
Below are some head-to-head stats on each team’s recent form in Champions League.