The club’s chief executive dropped an update on the De Jong saga during a meeting with supporters.
Manchester United’s chief executive, Richard Arnold, met disgruntled fans at a local pub near his home on Saturday, bought them all a drink, and discussed a wide range of issues with them.
One of the topics deliberated was Manchester United’s attempts to sign Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong.
Reports have heavily linked the club with a move for De Jong. Barcelona are said to be willing to sell the Dutchman to aid their financial plight, but only for the right price – which is believed to be around €85 million.
‘Money is not a consideration’
In video footage released on social media of his meeting with the supporters, Arnold confirmed manager Erik ten Hag’s desire to reunite with his former Ajax star man and that money won’t be an issue.
“For this summer, the money the manager and director of football [John Murtough] wants is there […] and this is the bit where, what’s my job as CEO, I make sure John does his job on football. Get some f***ing players in. Money’s there, OK? Get on with it, John,” Arnold said.
“Money is not a consideration on who we want. The manager wants him [De Jong] and they have actually done the work. He’s a great player.
“Is it 100 or 200 [million]? I don’t know. Get who you f***ing want. Do you want me buying the players? Does that not ring a bell?”
According to various reports, United could make a second bid of around €70 million-plus add-ons for De Jong after Barcelona rejected a €60 million bid, plus a potential €10 million in add-ons, last week.