Red Devils interim boss Ralf Rangnick has reportedly made Florian Wirtz a top target ahead of the January transfer window.
Bayer Leverkusen director Rudi Voller expects Florian Wirtz to continue in the Bundesliga ‘for a few more years’.
Reports have claimed the 18-year-old is high on Manchester United’s transfer list as the club’s interim manager, Ralf Rangnick, wants to add a new midfielder to his ranks in January.
Wirtz, a young German star said to be worth around €70 million, has taken over from Kai Havertz at Leverkusen since his compatriot left the BayArena for Chelsea last year in an €80m deal.
Manchester United are reportedly interested in signing Bayer Leverkusen's Florian Wirtz.
— DW Sports (@dw_sports) December 26, 2021
However, given that Wirtz signed a new five-year contract until 2026 last May, Voller doesn’t expect the teenager to join Havertz in the Premier League.
“Not only because of the contractual situation – also because of the trust we have built-in him and his family, we know that he will be in good hands here for a few more years”, the Leverkusen director told Bild.
“At some point, maybe that day will come and this club will be too small for Florian, similar to Kai [Havertz]. But that will still take a while.
“[My] wish is that Florian will stay with us for a few more years. That is important for us and for the whole of the Bundesliga, and I think it’s his plan too.”
Wirtz has supplied 17 goals and 19 assists in 68 first-team appearances for Leverkusen across all competitions.
The Germany international will return to action for Leverkusen on January 8 against Union Berlin once the Bundesliga winter break ends.