The Catalan giants have made four new signings and closed a new deal for Ousmane Dembele so far this summer.
FC Barcelona president Joan Laporta has said the club’s next transfer priority is to bring in a new defender.
After months of speculation, Barca completed a deal for Robert Lewandowski at the weekend. The former Bayern Munich striker has joined the club in a deal worth €50 million. He is the fourth new player at Camp Nou this summer after Franck Kessie, Andreas Christensen, and Raphinha.
But while Lewandowski’s arrival has strengthened the attack, Barcelona still feel a need to improve the backline.
“It’s now time to strengthen our defense,” Laporta said in an interview with Hristo Stoichkov on TUDN.
“I can’t give names, but we will strengthen our defense. [Bara manager] Xavi gave us 6 names, and I hope the Cules will enjoy.”
"Teníamos este objetivo para hacer un equipo más competitivo, vamos por el buen camino", @JoanLaportaFCB EN EXCLUSIVA con el crack Hristo Stoichkov😱😱😱
🔴En vivo por TUDN pic.twitter.com/1a1VBayrZi
— Misión Europa (@MisionTudn) July 18, 2022
Which defenders could Barcelona sign?
The 26-time Spanish champions’ search for new defenders has been well-publicized.
The most frequent names mentioned are Chelsea full-backs Cesar Azpilicueta and Marcos Alonso, along with Sevilla center-back Jules Kounde. All three players, however, will command a transfer fee.
Clement Lenglet, meanwhile, has joined Tottenham on a season-long loan. According to various reports, Barcelona also hope to offload fellow defenders Samuel Umtiti and Oscar Mingueza.
Xavi’s side return to action in the early hours of Wednesday morning (European time) for a friendly against MLS club Inter Miami in Florida as part of their US tour.