Ace Football previews the Serie A match between Inter Milan and Juventus, and offers the latest stats, betting tips, and team news.
The 238th official Derby d’Italia commences on Sunday night as rivals Inter Milan and Juventus square off at the San Siro.
Inter have the edge in the Serie A table so far, having collected 37 points from 17 matches to sit in second place. But while Juventus trail them by four points, the fourth-placed outfit do have a game in hand.
Recent history favors the visitors in this one, having won five of their previous seven league encounters (D2). They also did the double over Inter last season by winning 2-1 at the San Siro before winning again 2-0 in Turin last time out in March
The game is arguably the biggest in the league so far this season and offers the added twist of student vs master as rookie coach Andrea Pirlo takes on his former Juventus boss Antonio Conte, who now manages Inter.
Inter Milan Form & Stats
Romelu Lukaku struck in the 119th-minute to seal Inter passage into the Coppa Italia quarter-finals by overcoming Fiorentina 2-1 after extra-time. The Belgian has now scored 17 goals in 22 appearances, including 12 in Serie A.
The former Manchester United striker sits second in the Capocannoniere race behind Cristiano Ronaldo. Three goals separate the pair ahead of their latest showdown. Lautaro Martinez (9 goals) and Achraf Hakimi (6 goals), meanwhile, have also been impressive this season.
Despite failing to win their past two league games, Inter’s home form has been strong. The Nerazzurri have won each of their last five home matches. They also boast the league’s best-attacking record with 43 goals, but haven’t quite struck a defensive balance. Individual errors have been a big factor behind the 23 goals conceded so far.
Key Team Stats
- Won just 1 of their last 3 games in all competitions (D1 L1).
- Won their last 5 home league games.
- BTTS in their last 6 games in all competitions.
- BTTS in their last 4 home league games against Juventus.
- Achraf Hakimi has scored a goal in 3 of his last 5 league games.
- Romelu Lukaku has scored 12 goals in 16 league games.
- Marcelo Brozovic has provided 5 assists in his last 4 league games.
Juventus Form & Stats
Juventus, like Inter, needed an extra-time winner to overcome Genoa 3-2 in their midweek Coppa Italia clash. It was their fourth victory in a row, leaving them in good shape for the trip to San Siro on Sunday.
Despite a 3-0 home loss to Fiorentina at the end of December, the Bianconeri are in solid form. They’ve won 13 of their last 17 matches in all competitions (D3 L1) and even won each of their last four away matches. Those include a 3-0 triumph over Barcelona at Camp Nou and the 3-1 dismantling of AC Milan at San Siro.
Things appear to be on the up for Pirlo. The rookie coach has had his fair share of ups and downs in his debut campaign, but it seems he’s begun to hit his sweet spot.
Cristiano Ronaldo, meanwhile, is expected to return to the line-up. The club’s top-scorer settled for a spot on the bench in the midweek game against Genoa, as Pirlo opted for a different line-up. Ahead of a potentially decisive match, however, the manager will probably select his strongest available XI.
Key Team Stats
- Won 13 of their last 17 games in all competitions (D3 L1).
- Unbeaten in their last 11 away games in all competitions (W7 D4).
- Unbeaten in their last 7 league games against Inter Milan (W5 D2).
- Joint-best defensive record of 16 conceded goals alongside Napoli.
- BTTS in 4 of their last 5 games in all competitions.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored a brace in 4 of his last 8 starts.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has made 22 goal contributions in only 18 games across all competitions (19 goals, 3 assists).
Out: Danilo D’Ambrosio, Matias Vecino, Andrea Pinamonti.
Out: Juan Cuadrado, Alex Sandro, Matthijs de Ligt, Paulo Dybala.
(Note: The image will change to the official XI once they’re both announced)
Top Goalscorers in Serie A
Below are some head-to-head stats on each team’s recent form in Serie A.