Ace Football previews the La Liga match between Getafe and Real Madrid and offers the latest stats, tips, and team news.
Real Madrid take the brief trip to city rivals Getafe on Sunday night hoping to make it five wins on the bounce in La Liga.
The in-form visitors sit just a point behind La Liga leaders Atletico Madrid ahead of the clash, while Getafe are down in a relatively disappointing 15th-place, and just four points above the drop zone.
The missing Real Madrid stars for this derby could give the hosts hope, but will it be enough? While it should help even the tie out, Zinedine Zidane’s men could still be able to squeeze another three points out of this one.
Getafe Form & Stats
A 1-0 defeat to Cadiz last weekend extended Getafe’s winless run to five league games (D3 L2). It’s left them down in 15th-place in La Liga. For a club that has finished inside the top 10 for each of the last three seasons, it’s a disappointing outcome.
Jose Bordalas’ side are under pressure to turn things around. That said, they normally struggle against Real Madrid. They’ve actually lost 13 of their last 14 meetings with their local rivals in competitions (D1) and suffered a 3-0 defeat in the reverse fixture back in January 2020.
Getafe’s threat in the attack, meanwhile, is also a concern. The Azulones have the league’s second-worst goal record on 22 goals, scored just twice in the previous five games, and haven’t found the back of the net in their last five Madrid derbies either (D1 L4).
Key Team Stats
- On a 5-match winless run (D3 L2).
- Won only 1 of their last 12 league games (D4 L7).
- Lost 13 of their last 14 games against Real Madrid in all competitions (D1).
- Second-worst goal record in the league on 22 goals.
- Failed to score in their last 5 Madrid derbies (D1 L4).
- Winless in their last 6 home league games against Real Madrid (D1 L5).
- Enes Unal has had 3 goal involvements (1 goal, 2 assists) in his last 4 league games.
Real Madrid Form & Stats
Despite a 2-1 Clasico win over Barcelona last weekend, Real Madrid are in for a challenge on Sunday. Several players, including Fede Valverde and Ferland Mendy, are unavailable. That said, Zidane’s men have bounced back under challenging circumstances before.
A 10-match unbeaten run away from home (W6 D4) suggests that may be the case. Los Blancos also have an excellent record against Getafe and are hitting their stride as the season comes to a close.
Whichever team strikes first could prove decisive in this clash. And if that’s the case, Real Madrid will be confident. The visitors have scored the opening goal of a game 22 times in La Liga, which is the joint-best record alongside Sevilla.
Key Team Stats
- Won their last 4 league games.
- Unbeaten in their last 10 away league games (W6 D4).
- Unbeaten in their last 9 league derbies (W6 D3).
- Attempted a league-best of 40 shots from high turnovers this season.
- Scored the first goal in a game on 22 occasions so far.
- Karim Benzema has scored in each of his last 7 league games.
- Toni Kroos has supplied 2 goals and 7 assists in his last 10 league games.
Out: Erick Cabaco, Cucho Hernandez.
Out: Sergio Ramos, Lucas Vazquez, Raphael Varane, Dani Carvajal, Eden Hazard, Ferland Mendy, Casemiro, Nacho, Fede Valverde.
(Note: The image will change to the official XI once they’re both announced)
Top Scorers in La Liga
Below are some head-to-head stats on each team’s recent form in La Liga.