• News

Football official dies after Nigeria vs Ghana World Cup play-off tie

Nigeria, Ghana
© GFA Communications

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has revealed the Zambian died of cardiac arrest.

CAF official Dr. Joseph Kabungo died on Tuesday evening after the second leg of Nigeria and Ghana’s World Cup qualification play-off.

Thomas Partey’s 10th-minute opening goal proved the difference in a heated affair in Abuja. The Arsenal man’s strike won Ghana the tie on an away goal ruling, after finishing 1-1 on aggregate.

William Troost-Ekong equalized for Nigeria from the penalty spot, but the Super Eagles couldn’t find that all-important second goal.

The home side’s elimination caused some angry scenes at the final whistle. Fans stormed onto the pitch and threw missiles at the players. The police eventually dispersed them with tear gas. Both teams escaped down the tunnel, but it later emerged that Dr. Kabungo had passed away.

Kabungo died of cardiac arrest

The Zambian, who was on duty as a doping officer, died of cardiac arrest. The NFF confirmed the cause of his death in a statement on Wednesday.

“We are terribly shocked at this sad development,” said NFF general secretary Mohamed Sanusi as quoted on Goal.

“The NFF commiserates with world football body Fifa, the Confederation of African Football, the Football Association of Zambia, and the family of Dr. Kabungo on his sudden passing.

“His death pains us very much and we are in a state of deep shock.

“However, it is important to state the facts as they are. According to the information from our own medical officer, Dr. Onimisi Ozi Salami who was appointed by Fifa as medical officer for the game, Dr. Kabungo was found gasping for breath near the dressing room of the Ghanaian team.

“I was notified and ordered that he should be rushed to the hospital. He didn’t make it. He died just as they got to the hospital.”

Sanusi added: “It is a very sad incident and one is shocked that some persons have been putting a terrible slant to the whole thing by saying he was beaten up by fans. That is a lie. He died as a result of sudden cardiac arrest.”