The former Barcelona and Chelsea midfielder has weighed on rumors linking Cesar Azpilicueta to Camp Nou.
Chelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta’s move to Barcelona is ‘almost done’, Cesc Fabregas understands.
The 34-year-old claimed to have heard news about his ex-Chelsea and Spain teammate’s future while speaking to Spanish journalist Gerard Romero on his Twitch show ‘Jijantes’.
“Azpi to Barca, they’re saying it’s almost done,” said Fabregas.
Opciones de Azpi y Christensen del Chelsea pic.twitter.com/1rMtoxQT73
— Gerard Romero (@gerardromero) February 10, 2022
What’s the latest?
As things stand, Azpilicueta will become a free agent at the end of the season. The veteran right-back’s contract at Chelsea ends and he is yet to strike an agreement with the club over an extension.
Reports have claimed the Blues skipper is holding out for a long-term deal, despite the club only being willing to offer him a one-year contract that includes an option of a 12-month extension.
“I’m not going to speak about my future,” Azpilicueta said before Chelsea’s 1-0 win against Al-Hilal in the semi-finals of the Club World Cup earlier this week.
“We are one day before the semi-final of the tournament.
“Of course, I arrived in the summer of 2012 and I didn’t have kids. My kids were born in London and you know how I feel about Chelsea. But I am not going to comment on my future.”
Besides Barcelona, reports have also linked Atletico Madrid with a move for Azpilicueta in this summer’s transfer window.