Advertisement
  • News

Bayern Munich respond to rumors regarding their interest in Rudiger

Antonio Rudiger - Chelsea
Getty Images

The Germany international is yet to commit to a new contract with the Blues despite having entered the final 12 months of his current one.

Advertisement

Bayern Munich have essentially distanced themselves from reports of their interest in Antonio Rudiger, with the director of sport Hasan Salihamidzic insisting the club is “really well-staffed at center-back.”

Rudiger fast established himself as an integral part of the Chelsea squad after Thomas Tuchel took over from Frank Lampard in January last season.

The 28-year-old defender remains an essential element of the Blues backline, having started in all their Premier League and Champions League matches so far this season.

Advertisement

However, his future at Stamford Bridge is uncertain. As things stand, the German center-back will be free to hold talks with other clubs in January over a free transfer in the summer – and Bayern Munich closely monitoring his situation, as per recent rumors.

“It’s not okay when we talk about players who are at other clubs,” Salihamidzic told DAZN, rubbishing those rumors.

“Julian [Nagelsmann] said that about him in the press conference, but he is a coach who sees quite a lot of players – so why shouldn’t he evaluate an international and talk about his strengths.

Advertisement

“[Bayern is] really well-staffed at center-back. We have strengthened ourselves very well and brought in a top player in Upamecano. Lucas Hernandez is there, Tanguy Nianzou is there, Benjamin Pavard can also play inside – we are really very, very well staffed.

“We have had very little time – I had an appointment today on Friday. We didn’t see each other for that long, but we talk a lot about players, sure.”