The Barcelona star edges closer toward leaving the club as the Catalans hope to avoid a free departure.
After months of negotiations, Barcelona have given up on their plans to tie Ousmane Dembele to a new contract. The French winger is spending the last six months of his contract, already negotiating with interested clubs over a potential move.
Paris Saint-Germain have emerged as Dembele’s main suitors in recent days, with a new report claiming they have already reached a verbal agreement with the Frenchman.
According to Foot Mercato, Dembele has agreed to join the Ligue 1 giants. However, it is still unclear whether he will leave Barca this month or in the summer.
PSG are reportedly negotiating with Barcelona over a potential winter move. According to Fabrizio Romano, PSG’s sporting director Leonardo is pushing to finalize the deal this January. However, as of now, the two parties have not reached an agreement.
Barcelona have already made their feeling clear about Dembele’s situation. The club’s sporting director accused the Frenchman of lack of commitment, saying he should sign a new deal or leave the club this January.
“It seems obvious to us that the player does not want to continue at Barcelona,” Alemany said earlier this month.
“He is not committed to Barca’s future project.
“We told him and his agents that he must leave the club immediately. Because we want to have players committed to the project.
“We expect a transfer to take place before January 31. The sporting consequence is that we don’t want to have players who don’t want to be at Barca.”