The club chiefs gave updates on the futures of some key players to the media during Franck Kessie’s official presentation.
Barcelona president Joan Laporta and football director Mateu Alemany sealed a double coup this week by signing Franck Kessie and Andreas Christensen for free.
It, albeit briefly perhaps, alleviated some of the enormous pressure on Barca. Money is still tight and the futures of three players remain under a cloud. These are Frenkie de Jong, Ousmane Dembele, and Gavi.
So while speaking to the media at Kessie’s presentation on Wednesday, Laporta and Alemany gave a fresh update on the trio.
— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) July 6, 2022
🇳🇱 Frenkie de Jong
Manchester United are pushing hard for De Jong. The Premier League side are reportedly locked in talks with Barcelona. Reports have suggested they’ve made an initial €65 million verbal offer to sign the midfielder, with potential add-ons worth around €20 million.
“Frenkie de Jong is Barcelona player,” said Laporta. “We don’t want to sell him unless we have no other choice. Of course, we know there are offers for de Jong – but we don’t want to sell him.”
🇫🇷 Ousmane Dembele
The 25-year-old winger’s contract expired last week, and while talks continue over a new deal, he is officially no longer a Barcelona player.
Laporta said: “Dembele is no longer a Barça player. We continue to discuss, and we are open. There is an offer. If he accepts our proposal he will be there, otherwise not because we will not distort the salary issue. We have to adapt to the salary structure.”
As for La Masia graduate Gavi, Alemany announced the club and player have agreed on terms for a new contract.
“Gavi is 17 years old and until he turns 18, he can’t sign for four seasons,” he said.
“The agreement in principle for his renewal is already in place. Gavi will 100% continue at Barcelona,”