Five Premier League stars are included in the tournament’s ‘Best XI’.
Africa Cup of Nations ended with Senegal’s victory over Egypt in the tournament’s final on Monday. The Lions of Teranga claimed their first-ever AFCON title as Sadio Mane won the Player of the Tournament award.
On Tuesday, Confederation of African Football (CAF) published the tournament’s official Best XI. Champions Senegal have the most players in the team (4), with Egypt having a player less.
Edouard Mendy, who won the tournament’s award for the best goalkeeper, is present in the selected lineup. Burkina Faso’s Edmond Tapsoba forms the team’s centre-back pair alongside Egypt’s Mohamed Abdolmonem.
Achraf Hakimi has won a place in the lineup ahead of Burkina Faso’s Issa Kabore, who claimed the tournament’s Best Young Player award. CAF has named Senegal’s Saliou Ciss as the team’s left-back following his impressive performances in the knock-out stage.
In midfield, Burkina Faso’s Ibrahim Toure plays alongside Senegal’s Nampalys Mendy and Egypt’s Mohamed Elneny. Liverpool teammates Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane have claimed their spots up front, with the tournament’s top-scorer Vincent Aboubakar playing as the target striker.
AFCON 2021 Best XI
- Edouard Mendy (GK) – Senegal
- Achraf Hakimi (RB) – Morocco
- Mohamed Abdelmonem (CB) – Egypt
- Edmond Tapsoba (CB) – Burkina Faso
- Saliou Ciss (LB) – Senegal
- Mohamed Elneny (CM) – Egypt
- Nampalys Mendy (CM) – Senegal
- Blati Toure (CM) – Burkina Faso
- Mohamed Salah (RW) – Egypt
- Vincent Aboubakar (ST) – Cameroon
- Sadio Mane (LW) – Senegal
- Andre Onana – Cameroon
- Collins Fai – Cameroon
- Kalidou Koulibaly – Senegal
- Mahmoud Hamdy – Egypt
- Ahmed Abo Elfetouh – Egypt
- Andre Anguissa – Cameroon
- Youssouf M’Changama – Comoros
- Bertrand Traore – Burkina Faso
- Sofiane Boufal – Morocco
- Toko Ekambi – Cameroon
- Famara Diedhiou – Senegal